Sunday, November 28, 2010

Best of Friends

I am lucky enough to have a few good friends. I am even luckier to have not 1, not 2, but 3 best friends. Not everyone can say that. I am not one that's had many friends in my adult life. I got pregnant 3 months out of high school, and back then it wasn't exactly "cool" like it seems to be now. I lost a lot of friends when I got out of a lot of bad habits. That's when I learned some people who claimed to care for you really don't. I was a freshman then.

Three years later I was pregnant and lost what few friends I had left. I had become a fuddy duddy. I couldn't go out to parties, I couldn't drink (even though none of should have been anyway), and I didn't date anymore. For 3 years after that I was a single mom just trying to survive. I worked long hours, sometimes working 2 jobs and at one point tried going to school and working and raising Mae. I hate to admit it, but the only real time I had with her was on the weekends, but what could I do? When she was 1 I met Travis and when she was 3 we married. I found out only a month after we got engaged that I was pregnant with Michael. We had a few minor problems in the beginning and long story short I was put on bed rest. No real chance to make friends there. The only place I went is to the store. I couldn't exactly say, "Hey miss checkout lady, would you like to be my friend?"

Then we had Michael. And then we lost Michael. I started reaching out to people more.. as much as I could considering my state of mind. A specific person had been a long time "peeve me off" person, and I to her. She reached out to me none the less and helped me through his death even when everyone else was tired of listening to me. In the process we found out that a mutual acquaintance had been pitting us against each other. I'm talking about TT. If you want to know more about her go here. She quickly became someone I could not imagine my life without. She lives very far away now, but we remain in close contact. She is kind and selfless. She is someone I admire very much.



I also met a friend here and a friend there on myspace groups. We all became close and very involved with each others lives. So we formed our own group. I love them all dearly! This is in no way saying that I don't care about them. However, I got super close with one person. My lovely friend Vics. She is one of the sweetest, caring, intelligent individuals I have ever met. She was only 20 when we started talking, but then, and to this day, I've sought her opinion on things. She has a very clear and fair perspective on things. She'll make me feel validated if she thinks I'm right, and put me in my place if she thinks I'm wrong. She has always been 100% honest with me no matter what. Something I highly respect in a person! She is one of my closest friends, and I have never met her in person.



Then there's GG. Forgetful, frustrating GG. I met her through Mae's school about 3 years ago when I was pregnant with James. She offered to keep Mae so Travis and I could have a little break. What a great thing that would be! But I didn't know her well enough to trust her with my child. Since Mae has many issues due to ADHD and behavioral problems I was called into school quite often. She always sought me out, talked to me, and again and again asked me to call her if I never needed anything. The day I found out I was pregnant with Reid I had to pick up cookie dough we had bought from a fund raiser at school. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change anything in having Reid, but that day I was completely freaked out. How were we going to handle another one?! She asked me what was wrong and I burst into tears. Ever since then we've gotten closer and closer.



What's the point of this you may ask? It's simple. I wanted to brag on my wonderful friends. I'm so proud to have them in my life and wanted to put it in writing just how great they really are. I hope they realize what a big impact they have had on my life and how much I appreciate them.

1 comment:

  1. You don't know how badly I needed this today. It's been a long week, and a long day too. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete